Are you heading out on an outdoor adventure? Don’t forget to download the best apps to help make your next hiking, camping, cycling, or other active trip even more fun and memorable.
With so many great options available for both Android and iOS devices, it can be tricky to determine which apps are must-haves.
This comprehensive guide covers the top 10 best outdoor adventure apps USA 2023, with a focus on use in the USA. You’ll find key details on each app’s standout features and benefits, plus direct links to download them on your phone.
10 Best Outdoor Adventure Apps for Android and iOS Devices 
A handy comparison table lets you see the best app based on your activity. Let’s explore how these apps can upgrade your next foray into the great outdoors!
Top 10 Best Outdoor Adventure Apps
From finding new trails and camping spots to navigating and sharing your latest exploits, these apps pack some amazing features to elevate your adventures.
Here’s an overview of each one:
- Gaia GPS
- REI Co-op National Parks Guide
Best Apps By Activity:
|Hiking||AllTrails, ViewRanger, REI National Parks|
|Camping||Hipcamp, REI National Parks|
|Cycling||AllTrails, ViewRanger, TrailLink|
|Navigation||Gaia GPS, ViewRanger|
|Trip Planning||Roadtrippers, REI National Parks|
Adventure Apps Comparison Chart:
|App||Best For||Download Links||Ratings|
|AllTrails||Hiking, trail running, mountain biking||iOS, Android||⭐⭐⭐⭐✰ (iOS), ⭐⭐⭐✰✰ (Android)|
|Gaia GPS||Backcountry navigation, offline maps||iOS, Android||⭐⭐⭐✰✰ (iOS), ⭐⭐⭐✰✰ (Android)|
|ViewRanger||GPS tracking, wearable connectivity||iOS, Android||⭐⭐⭐⭐✰ (iOS), ⭐⭐⭐✰✰ (Android)|
|REI National Parks Guide||Trip planning, national parks||iOS, Android||⭐⭐⭐⭐✰ (iOS), ⭐⭐⭐✰✰ (Android)|
|PeakFinder||Peak identification, augmented reality||iOS, Android||⭐⭐⭐⭐✰ (iOS), ⭐⭐⭐✰✰ (Android)|
|Geocaching||Treasure hunting, geocache logging||iOS, Android||⭐⭐⭐⭐✰ (iOS), ⭐⭐⭐✰✰ (Android)|
|Roadtrippers||Road trip planning, attractions||iOS, Android||⭐⭐⭐⭐✰ (iOS), ⭐⭐⭐✰✰ (Android)|
|Hipcamp||Campsite booking, glamping||iOS, Android||⭐⭐⭐⭐✰ (iOS), ⭐⭐⭐✰✰ (Android)|
|TrailLink||Multi-use trail discovery||App||⭐⭐⭐⭐✰|
|Cotopaxi||Outdoor gear, adventures||iOS, Android||⭐⭐⭐⭐✰ (iOS), ⭐⭐⭐⭐✰ (Android)|
Top 10 Outdoor Adventure Apps for Android and iOS in the USA 2023
This comprehensive guide covers the top 10 outdoor adventure apps for 2023, with a focus on use in the USA. You’ll find key details on each app’s standout features and benefits, plus direct links to download them on your phone. A handy comparison table lets you see the best app based on your activity.
Let’s explore how these apps can upgrade your next foray into the great outdoors!
AllTrails is one of the best adventure apps for Android and iOS platforms that help users discover the most suitable routes for hikes, biking, backpacking, and running trails around the world. With one of the best free hiking apps, users can easily log their hikes, runs, and mountain bike rides with the app’s GPS activity tracker. The app also allows users to download maps for offline viewing.
- The largest collection of trail maps and route data, all searchable by location. Includes photos and reviews.
- Track and record hikes, runs, and bike rides via GPS. Save routes for offline access.
- Filter trail options by length, difficulty, amenities, and accessibility.
- iOS: https://apps.apple.com/us/app/alltrails-hike-bike-run/id405075943
- Android: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.alltrails.alltrails
#2: Gaia GPS
Gaia GPS is a go-to app for backcountry navigation and planning camping, hiking, and other outdoor trips. Users can download detailed topographic and public land maps for offline access. The global database of user-created routes provides endless options to explore. Use the phone’s GPS to track your real-time position on the map even without cell service.
- Download detailed topographic and public land maps for backcountry navigation
- Plan camping, hiking, cycling, etc., and share routes
- Access the global database of user-created routes
- Use phone GPS to track position on map offline
- iOS: https://apps.apple.com/us/app/gaia-gps-hiking-maps/id577412200
- Android: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.gaia_gps.android
ViewRanger provides GPS navigation, tracking capabilities, and an augmented reality skyline viewer. Hike stats like elevation gain, distance, pace, and calories burned are delivered via audio feedback. Connect wearables and outdoor gear to automatically sync hike data. Purchase premium USGS topo maps for enhanced offline navigation.
- Audio feedback provides hike stats like elevation gain, distance, and pace.
- Connect wearables and outdoor gear to auto-sync data.
- Purchase premium USGS topo maps and skyline viewer.
- iOS: https://apps.apple.com/us/app/viewranger-hike-bike-map/id465173197
- Android: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.augmentra.viewranger.android
#4: REI Co-op National Parks Guide
The REI National Parks app provides interactive maps, trip planning tools, hiking challenges, and information on all U.S. National Parks. Useful features include filterable campground and lodging directories, packing checklists, and infographics on each park.
- Interactive maps, trip ideas, and challenges for all U.S. National Parks.
- Campground and lodging directories.
- Park-specific packing checklists.
- Infographics on history, geology, and wildlife.
- iOS: https://apps.apple.com/us/app/rei-national-parks-guide/id1460850545
- Android: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.rover.rei
PeakFinder is an interactive panorama app that identifies mountain peaks by simply holding your camera towards the landscape. It includes a worldwide database of over 1 million peaks with names and heights. Works offline once peaks are downloaded.
- Augmented reality shows mountain peak names and heights.
- Database with over 1 million peaks worldwide.
- Works offline after downloading peak data.
- Shows the location, directions, and more.
- iOS: https://apps.apple.com/us/app/peakfinder-ar/id358863543
- Android: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mobilect.peakfinder
Join a global treasure-hunting community with Geocaching. Navigate to hidden geocaches near your location, accessed via a comprehensive database. Log your finds, read hints, upload photos, and communicate with fellow geocachers.
- Detailed geocache descriptions, recent activity, attributes, and hints.
- Live geocache search updates nearby options in real time.
- Log finds, save drafts, and upload photos.
- Maps include hybrid, satellite, and terrain views.
Roadtrippers help you plan road trips and discover interesting stops and attractions along your route. Features include curated local guides, syncing across devices, and sharing capabilities.
- Enter the route and find cool attractions and stops along the way
- Curated guides cover roadside attractions, camping, hiking trails
- Sync trips and saved places across devices
- Share planned trips and routes with friends
- iOS: https://apps.apple.com/us/app/roadtrippers-road-trip-planner/id403684164
- Android: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.roadtrippers
Hipcamp is your go-to app for booking RV sites, tent camping, cabins, glamping options, and more on public and private land. You can filter by location, amenities, price, and accessibility. Discover new outdoor activities with local recommendations.
- Book tent camping, RV sites, cabins, glamping and more.
- Search by location, amenities, price, and accessibility filters.
- Local recommendations for activities.
- List your land.
- iOS: https://apps.apple.com/us/app/hipcamp-discover-book-campsites/id944848294
- Android: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.hipcamp.android
TrailLink includes a database of over 40,000 multi-use trails across the U.S. for hiking, biking, running, and more. Easily find trails by city, state, distance, amenities, and surface type. View trail maps, user photos, and condition updates.
- Database of 40,000+ multi-use trails for hiking, cycling, etc.
- Search trails by location, distance, amenities, and surface.
- Trail maps, conditions, and user-uploaded photos.
- Directions provided for trails.
- iOS and Android: https://www.traillink.com/app/
Cotopaxi is an outdoor gear brand with a community focused on sustainable manufacturing and humanitarian efforts. Their app allows you to shop for sustainable packs, clothing, and gear. You can also join group adventures, take challenges, and share trips.
- Shop sustainable outdoor packs, clothes, and gear.
- Read reviews from verified product owners.
- Join group adventures, and take challenges.
- Share your outdoor trips and community.
- iOS: https://apps.apple.com/us/app/cotopaxi/id1464615482
- Android: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.cotopaxi.cotopaxiapp
- What types of outdoor activities do these apps support?
These apps cover hiking, camping, cycling, mountain biking, trail running, backpacking, kayaking, skiing, geocaching, and more outdoor pursuits.
- Are the apps safe to use for navigation?
They can assist with navigation and trip planning, but you should always carry backups like paper maps and share your route. Do not rely solely on a phone GPS in remote areas.
- Can I use these apps offline?
Many allow offline use for maps, directions, and tracking, but full functionality requires an internet connection, especially for live data. Download areas and routes beforehand.
- What navigation and trip planning features are offered?
Features include interactive maps, route planning, GPS tracking, finding local attractions and campsites, custom packing lists, weather forecasts, and more.
- Do I need special gear to use these apps?
You don’t need any specialized gear. However, some apps connect with wearables and outdoor equipment to sync data.
- How accurate is the topographic map data?
Accuracy varies, but apps like Gaia GPS source from USGS and other reputable mapping data for very detailed offline topographic maps.
- Can I track my fitness progress over time?
Yes, many of the apps allow tracking fitness stats like distance, time, elevation gain, speed, calories burned, and pace over multiple activities.
- Are there adventure trip planning communities?
Apps like REI National Parks and Cotopaxi foster online communities for finding and sharing outdoor adventures and trips.
- Do I have to pay for a subscription?
Some core features are free, but additional premium content like certain maps requires a subscription for the best experience.
- What devices are compatible?
Nearly all major apps support both iOS (iPhone and iPad) and Android phones and tablets, with some available for wearables.
And that wraps up our tour of the top 10 outdoor adventure apps for 2023! From hiking to camping to just exploring nature, these apps put amazing tools right in your pocket to level up your next trip.
So what are you waiting for? Browse the options and download a couple to try out before your next outdoor excursion. Got a favorite we missed? Let us know in the comments! We’d love to hear about the apps you couldn’t live without on your adventures.
Planning an upcoming hiking trip with friends? Make sure to share this article so they can check out the AllTrails and REI National Parks apps to get trail recommendations. Heading on a weekend bike ride? Send the link to your cycling buddies so they can grab ViewRanger or TrailLink to find new routes.
However you get out into nature, we hope these apps help you discover awesome new places, navigate smoothly, and have more fun in the great outdoors. Thanks for reading! Now go get packing for your next adventure!
Let me know if you would like me to modify or expand this conclusion in any way. I’m happy to adjust the tone or add any additional details you think would improve it. Please feel free to provide any feedback!